

Have you read many fantasy novels? When I was at primary school, I read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien. Those books were great, so I read Tolkien's other works, and also looked for other fantasy authors.
Unfortunately, I found that most other fantasy works seemed to be copying Tolkien and often copying him very badly. It wasn't until several years later that I found Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series. (In Japanese, this series is called Ged Senki.) In some ways, I think these are even better than the Tolkien books. They tell the story of Ged, a poor shepherd boy who is discovered to have magical powers, and goes to the island of Rork to study at the school of wizards there. This series was written in the 1960's and has been quite popular with children ever since.
Maybe you'll notice a similarity with the Harry Potter series. I believe that the general idea is based on Le Guin's work.

No comments:
Post a Comment